My name is Lauren Mishcon, I live in North London with my husband, three sons, and Barker the Springer Spaniel.
I started my working life in the West End as an actor's agent. My childbirth experiences were the soul defining moments of my life. I felt so empowered, happy & proud about my births but I became disheartened hearing so many women share their disappointment surrounding their birth stories. So I decided to follow my passion, knowing that working as a Birth Doula would be the best way to help other women achieve the positive birth experiences they deserved and feel empowered to make their own choices in childbirth.
In 2007 I completed my training and became a Recognised Birth Doula with Doula UK and have since supported over 200 families to bring their babies into the world.
As a Birth Doula I have attended births at all the London hospitals and Birth Centres as well as home births. I have experience of all types of births; from natural vaginal deliveries. VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarean), instrumental deliveries, water births, emergency and planned caesarean sections and home births. I have attended births where women have chosen to use just their breathing, hypnobirthng, a T.E.N.S machine Entonox (gas and air), Pethadine and Epidural. I come to you with no agenda or judgements about the way you choose to birth your baby.
Alongside my doula work, I'm the host of Self Care Club podcast hyperurl.co/SCCpod
I hosted a weekly radio show on Women's Radio Station focusing on all aspects of reproductive health, pregnancy and birth. www.womensradiostation.com
I am the resident expert doula for The Nest Club www.thenestclub.co.uk
I am a consultant for Sarka London www.sarkalondon.com
I was the editor of The Doula magazine. and have written freelance For Juno magazine.
I was the Doula Expert for Pregnancy & Birth Magazine from 2009-2011.
Interview in The Metro https://www.metro.news/tips-from-the-top-with-doula-lauren-mishcon/1708620/
Interview in Balance Magazine https://balance.media/what-is-a-doula-meghan-markle/
Interview with Sarka London https://www.sarkalondon.com/blogs/news/uncompromising-woman-3-lauren-mishcon
Article originally featured in The Jewish Chronicle, please click here.
I have featured on NBC's Today Show and ITV's Tonight show as well as in The Telegraph Magazine, Vanity Fair, The Independant, The Metro, Grazia Daily, Hello and Elle.
My philosophy is that there is no right or wrong way to have a baby - childbirth just happens! and being open to the process and feeling informed, safe and secure enough to let go is the best way to achieve a positive birth. My ideal scenario is for a woman to labour in a safe, quiet environment of her choosing, with as few distractions and disturbances as possible. My aim is to make sure she feels safe and informed at all times and that both she and her partner are continuously supported throughout.
- September 2007 - completed the birth and postnatal course with Nurturing Birth. It covered all aspects of birth, postnatal care and breastfeeding.
- September 2007 - Water Birth Study Day at The Active Birth Centre with Janet Balaskas - the leading pioneer of Active Birth and Water Birth.
- January 2008 - homeopathic study day at the Chaim Centre in North London with Nicola Berman & Malgosia Zamolska-Settles which focused on using remedies to help pregnant and labouring women.
- April 2008 - completed my ongoing recognition process with Doula UK and was awarded 'Recognised Doula' status.
- March 2009 Study day with expert obstetrician and author Michel Odent
- April 2009 Advanced breast feeding course with Sue Saunders.
- May 2011 First Aid and Resuscitation Course with Ann Herreboudt.
- March 2012 The Oxytocin Factor Study day with Kerstin Uvnas Moberg M.D Ph.D.
- May 2014 Art of Doula Listening Study Day with Ashely MacDonald
- June 2015 Being Present in the Birth Space Study day with Mark Harris
- May 2016 Closing the Bones workshop with Maddie McMahon and Sophie Messager.